Sunday, August 21, 2005

They will know we are Christians by our... what?

Yep, its official. At least in my book. The once loved "hippie" song, They will know we are Christains by our love, has forever been changed to: They will know we are Christians by our multiple doctinal, non-transubstantiational, pre-lapsarian but post-tribulational, you-better-believe-what-I-believe-or-you-WILL-burn teachings.

I know what you're thinking... pretty long huh? So we'll shorten it to They will know we are Christians by our... what? I like it, has a catchy post-modern vibe to it. Little guitar, some djembe, maybe a tamborine or two and you have yourself the beginning of a great worship set.

Of course this is only a painfull reality in the case in my specific denomination. It seems that my church has founded itself so deeply in biblical truth (and I beleive it has or I wouldn't be here) that we don't leave any room for those who think and perhaps have... can I say it? questions.

Kinda funny, we evangelize the hell (pun intended) out of people, wooing them to the church, but if you are in the church and don't agree with some biblical or doctrinal points, or lifestyle issues we shun you as if you have some infectious disease that might spread causing a pandemic episode of apostasy whereas all of us will be bowing down to a picture of a pope-like figure, while we huddle in some adobe huts in the desserts of southern New Mexico, claiming that there is no christ but the oreo. A bit over the top but it works. Seriously though this saddens me. It hurts. We love sinners (at least I hope we do), but we have a hard time loving saints who have become "sinners."

I thought I remember reading Jesus tell us that if a person refuses to listen to the truth, treat them as if they were pagans. Meaning: fall all over yourself to love them back. Hmm... but I guess that doesn't apply to your own church members. We believe the Holy Spirit can bring someone into the church, but if they should question and disagree on main matters of faith He is powerless to guide them so we must protect the flock.

What kind of a crazy God would think up something like grace anyway? What a kook. Grace... ha thats a good one.

1 comment:

Aaron Geist said...

Nice thoughts, I'd never thought of the treat them like pagens in that light. It seems obvious to me now...and in line with what Jesus teaches!

Nice hermenutics.